What you can do to make your computer use more environmentally friendly
- Turn your computer off when it’s not in use. Make sure that your operating system's energy-savings settings are correct.
- Try to make your machine last as long as possible — if it has ground to a halt, consider reinstalling the operating system afresh, rather than buying a new machine.
- When the time comes to buy a new computer, explore the green policies of a machine’s manufacturer. Apple, Dell and Asus claim they are leaders in this field.
- The bulk of your computer’s energy use is dictated by your power supplier, and many electricity and gas companies offer tariffs that use renewable sources.
- If you have a website, remember that every uncompressed picture and every badly written bit of code has a direct impact on the environment and on the time it takes a site to load. If your site is speedy, it will usually help its search rankings, too..
- When disposing of unwanted electronic equipment, remember that recycling it intact, for other people to use, is usually much better for the environment that dismantling it.