Here are some energy saving tips for those primarily in the high air conditioning(AC) need areas of the USA such as the SE and SW
1. Set the thermometer between 78 and 80.
2. Don't set the thermostat at a colder setting than normal when you turn on your AC.
3. Replace AC filters monthly.
4. Replace your old AC unit with a high efficiency unit.
5. Use awnings, curtains, shutters or blinds to keep out direct sunlight.
6. Plant trees or shrubs to shade AC units but do not block the airflow.
7.Caulk and weatherstrip leaky windows and doors.
8. Replace incandescent bulbs with compact flourescents(CFL's)
9. Upgrade to high efficiency attinc insulation
10. Wash clothes in cold water
from Orlando Utilities Summer Newsletter